[CSS21] Can internal table elements be relatively positioned, or establish stacking contexts?

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 20:50:17 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Supposedly, the 'position' property applies to all elements.  I can't
find any evidence of relative positioning applying to internal table
elements in Gecko, though.  (Not even to table cells; a relpos
table-cell doesn't seem to establish the containing block for its abspos
children.)

I feel that it ought to be possible to relatively position these
elements, but perhaps with the restriction in CSS21 that 'top',
'bottom', left' and 'right' don't have any effect (if that makes life
easier for implementers).

If internal table elements can be relpos'd, then presumably z-index can
act on them, and hence they can establish stacking contexts.

Can other properties that induce stacking contexts, such as opacity, act
on them too?  I don't see any reason why a semi-opaque table cell
shouldn't be possible, in the separated borders model at least.

The trouble is, if internal table elements can establish stacking
contexts then I think a few revisions to the painting algorithm in
Appendix E are needed.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net