Selectable text inside block level links (was Re: Clickable area for hyperlinks)

From: André Luís <me@andr3.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 20:36:08 +0100
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

On Jun 14, 2012, at 6:51 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
>> Le 14/06/2012 19:04, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>>> The "actionable area" is just the element's own geometry, based on its
>>> display type and the relevant properties.   That's well-defined by the
>>> layout mode it's in.
>> Most box types have a margin/outer area, border area, padding area and
>> content area (each including the next). Which of these is the actionable
>> area? Where is this defined? In browsers it seems to be the margin/outer
>> area.
> Border area.  That's the area that hit-testing is done on.
> Hit-testing is not defined in CSS yet, unfortunately.

On a related albeit a bit offtopic-ish note (apologize for the hijack), block-level links have a "defect" of disabling text selection.

Tab (or anyone else, for that matter),

given your experience, where do you think this "problem" is best tackled? The what-wg, here (www-style), bug reports on all user-agent trackers...?

And by block level links I'm referring to <a> with display:block; or <a> with block level elements inside (as permitted by the HTML5 spec).

Now, if you have a paragraph (or a long portion), that text is pretty much unselectable on all user agents apart from mobile, which can cause frustration when using them.

Thanks in advance...
André Luís