Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:22:34 -0700
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com>, CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>, TabAtkins <jackalmage@gmail.com>
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>

On Jun 14, 2012, at 2:16 PM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just one note, as Tab pointed out to me yesterday evening and rightly
> so:  They are _author_ defined properties, not _user_ defined
> properties from the perspective of CSS.

I would say "author designed value tokens" or something. The author-designed property only exists so that a author-designed token can be used on the right side as a value.

However, I don't find the term 'variable' confusing at all, and I doubt that many would. It makes it easier to understand than to have some other term that must be explained so that someone else will say, "oh, like a variable, you mean?"