Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 03:16:39 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
* Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>> * Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>>I request that we add an explicit control for this, such that if a
>>>scrollbar is currently scrolled against a particular edge, it can be
>>>made to "stick" to that edge when the content width/height changes.
>>>Something like:
>>>
>>>scrollbar-attachment: normal | edge;
>>
>> This is not really controlling the scrollbar, especially not if there is
>> none, so the name seems wrong;
>
>Explain? I'm not sure how this isn't controlling the scrollbar.

Scrollbars are an interface that represent and allow to control which
part of an element is rendered. The `-ms-scrollbar-*` properties would
control the actual scrollbar, but you generally would not refer to some
UI control in order to manipulate concepts they are an interface to.
You would not have a property `volume-slider: 100%` for `volume: 100%`.
And if this was to work with overflow:hidden, say because you have some
touch UI or because you don't actually want the user to scroll, then it
becomes confusing to set `scrollbar-*` properties, since there is none.
And which scrollbar anyway, considering there can be more than one.