Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> I'm worried about a few things here:
>
>  * I wouldn't want this to preclude browsers improving their
>   behavior in other ways (since there are a bunch of improvements
>   that could be made)

Brief examples?

>  * As a user, I hate this behavior.  I generally want to know where
>   I left off, and I hate it when sites think I want the latest and
>   don't care where I last stopped reading.  So I'm personally much
>   more interested in having the position be maintained.

I suspect this isn't actually your position in chat rooms. ^_^
Otherwise you'd have to constantly hit pagedown just to keep up with
the conversation.  But even if it is, pushing this functionality into
CSS makes it easy enough to put a "scrollbar-attachment: normal
!important;" rule into your user stylesheet.  Much easier than trying
to deal with each page's JS.

>   So it
>   seems like there are two separate pieces of information here: (1)
>   which end the site is adding content from and (2) whether the
>   site things you want scroll-to-latest-if-at-edge.  If they're
>   separate, then it's easier for the user to override (2).

I'm not sure how (1) would be useful as a separate piece of information.

~TJ