Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> I request that we add an explicit control for this, such that if a
> scrollbar is currently scrolled against a particular edge, it can be
> made to "stick" to that edge when the content width/height changes.
> Something like:
>
> scrollbar-attachment: normal | edge;

> Thoughts?

This is something I've wanted for a long time because so many apps get this
wrong, but I don't think it's attachment behavior you want, it's changing
the direction the inside of the scroll view seems to "extend" towards.

For example if scrollTop = 0, there's no overflow and you insert 20 new
messages into the chat window you want the scrollbar to stay stuck at the
bottom not the top. With just "edge" this case is ambiguous since it was
touching both edges at the start since there was no overflow.

Something like overflow-growth-direction: top | bottom;

There's probably a better name for this concept though.

- E