Re: [css3-images][css4-images] Replace 'dppx' with 'x'?

On Jun 14, 2012, at 12:18 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

>>> The 'image-resolution' property was reverse-implemented based on what
>>> already existed, so we can't remove what exists, but we can always add
>>> more syntax later.  However, I don't think adding ratios for
>>> expressing resolution is a good thing unless we do it everywhere.
>>
>> My problem with the dppx unit is that the ratio of device pixels to CSS pixels only makes
>> sense when the page is unscaled. Most mobile devices (and, increasingly, desktop browsers)
>> present pages at a non-unit scale, and allow users to zoom the page in and out. When zoomed,
>> there's an additional scale factor applied that needs to be taken into account in the relationship
>> between device pixels and CSS pixels. The 'dppx' unit pretends that such a scale factor does not
>> exist, which is confusing.
>>
>> In addition, I still think that most authors will interpret "resolution" in terms of physical screen size,
>> not the 1:96 fixed CSS inch:pixel ratio.
>>
>> Both are strong arguments for a simple multiplier factor in media queries, as used by device-pixel-ratio.
>
> You're saying that the value of device-pixel-ratio is sensitive to
> zoom?  So that on a high-res (2x) phone viewing a page that is also
> initially viewport-zoomed to half its size, the device-pixel-ratio is
> 4?

Zooming is not defined anywhere in CSS, but I tend to think of it as an operation that changes the size of a CSS px while simultaneously changing the viewport width and height by the inverse. So, a 400px wide viewport zoomed out to where a px is half it's 100% size is then 200px (but the same physical size). Then, unlike in IE7-8, things like background-position just work when zooming. It wouldn't affect media queries or JavaScript queries, and the dppx of the image would stay the same.