Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:04:16 -0700
To: Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com>
Cc: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com> wrote:
> Here is what would be nice:
>
> 1. New term 'variable', 'label', <insert other bikeshedding words> that is
> clearly defined in the CSS spec. This way, if CSS requires certain
> properties to never accept a variable, we can do so in the spec.

I highly doubt this will ever happen.  It doesn't even make sense to
me for a property to try and restrict this; it's feels like it would
pretty much always be a mistake.

However, your wish is already granted - "variable" is dfn'd in the
spec.  So is "variable property".

> 2. Easy to understand/use syntax for defining a variable (including a
> default value) and clear articulate functions to either get or set them
> (var-get(), var-set(), <I-am-not-a-language-designer-disclaimer>).

I assume this means that you dislike the current syntax.  Could you
give me an example of what you're thinking of for var-set()?  I don't
understand how a function would actually be used.

> 3. CSSOM representation that defines how variables can be accessed via
> JavaScript.

Yes, I need to work on this.  There's a chapter in the draft about it,
but it's mostly just a big issue right now.  I just need to sit down
and work out what the WebIDL for it would be.