Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:51:06 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net>, Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com>, www-style@w3.org
> This is pretty much exactly what's currently in the draft, except the
> draft uses a var- prefix.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that was way too short and
missing important points.  I have a tendency to go the other way and
be overly verbose which I am trying to fight... Let me try again...

 As I said before, I like the draft "as is" in all of the moving parts
and everything - I even am not personally confused by var-.  However,
given the evolution and where it ended up, I see that this is causing
a lot of confusion and also that once you zero in on "it's just a
special property," people seem to get it a lot quicker.  What I was
saying then was, keep the key points, but lose all "variable"
reference -- is that a non-starter?

Like, why not just call it the "CSS Author Defined Properties" and use
that metaphor all the way down - keeping all the same parts:  def-* is
a space to hang author defined properties (like data-* in HTML).  Some
function allows you access to them specially (again, like dataset in
HTML, they don't have data- prefixes there either), and $  is a
shorthand to that function (again, like dataset without the data-).