Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:09:04 +0200
To: "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>
Cc: "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Chris Eppstein" <chris@eppsteins.net>, "Divya Manian" <manian@adobe.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

| :root{ def-primarycolor: blue; }
| .x{ background-color: $primarycolor; }

This is nearly what I proposed in my June 4 'compromise', the only
difference being that it don't pass the "the variable name is consistent
between declaration and retreival" assertion (and that you will never be
able to reference a framework-provided property in the future even if we
would like to allow that; also create inconsistencies like in inherit(color)
vs inherit(def-mycolor) vs $color).

I would not say I dislike it but this is clearly missing an huge opportunity
and messing things arounds. Seriously, css variables are properties, let's
consider them as such.