Clickable area for hyperlinks

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:15:24 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

An 'a' HTML element with an 'href' attribute generates an hyperlink.
When the link activation is pointer-based, where and how big exactly is
the actionable area? How does this change for the various computed
values of 'display' for the element? (eg. inline vs. block)

I could not find this in the HTML or CSS specs. In WeasyPrint we picked
the margin/outer area of each principal box generated by the element.
(We make this as high as 'line-height' for inline boxes.) This seems to
match what browsers do.

Iím not sure where this *should* be defined: precise rectangles (for
visual media) are more in CSSís realm but as far as I know CSS has
nothing on links. (The css3-hyperlinks module is marked abandoned and
does not answer this question anyway.)

Regards,
--
Simon Sapin