Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:52:54 -0700
To: Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net>
Cc: Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net> wrote:
> If they are normal properties, why can I not access the value of other
> properties?

That's a different question - you're now asking about the var use
syntax, and why you can't use a similar syntax to access other
properties.

It's because the rules for whether or not you're allowed to (avoiding
cycles from implicit dependencies) are complex, and we'd like to be
able to change them over time without worrying about breaking
arbitrary web content, or making the rules even more complex.
Variable properties have a very simple and explicit set of
dependencies - the properties tied to variables used in them - and we
won't be changing that in the future (at least, not in a way that's
potentially backwards-incompatible).