Re: [css3-syntax] First draft of parser section completed

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> If css3-syntax is not compatible with css-hierarchy, it is a spec issue that
> should be resolved in spec. It has nothing to do with tinycss or other
> implementations.

Yes, the parser as written in Syntax would not allow Hierarchies.
That's fine.  It just means that we'd need to adjust the parser when
that happens.

This would be a backwards-compatible change for anything that follows
the error-recovery rules properly.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu
<kennyluck@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> The reason I am saying this is that: The "3.6. Tree Construction" as it
> is is closer to tinycss than, for example, Gecko because Gecko doesn't,
> say, preserve unrecognized declarations. So, if tinycss has a way to
> guarantee a good amount of future-compatibility, say, to include
> css-heirarchy at least, it can be used as potential input to "3.6. Tree
> Construction".

Note that the Tree Construction phase isn't intended to keep
unrecognized declarations.  I just haven't yet written the part that
allows UAs to drop the declarations and rules they don't understand.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> In the future I will base tinycss on css3-syntax in the hope that it will
> never change. I really want to make sure we get it right this time!

Don't make this assumption.  However, you can make the assumption that
we won't change in a backwards-incompatible way for anyone following
the spec properly.  If we add new things that require parser changes,
they will be done such that things following the older version of
Syntax will just drop the new stuff.