Re: [CSS21] The 'clear' property on table wrappers.

Le Mar 5 juin 2012 12:11, Simon Sapin a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Elements with 'display: table' generate two boxes: a table wrapper box
> and a table box.
>
> 17.4 explains how the computed values on the element are distributed to
> the two boxes:
>
>> The computed values of properties 'position', 'float', 'margin-*',
>> 'top', 'right', 'bottom', and 'left' on the table element are used on
>> the table wrapper box and not the table box;

If float can be used on the table wrapper box, then it seems to me to be
natural, consequent and coherent to expect clear to be used on it as well.

all other values of
>> non-inheritable properties are used on the table box and not the
>> table wrapper box.
>
> In a previous email, I already reported that 'z-index' should be added
> to the list of properties that are used on the table wrapper box and not
> the table box. I just found that this is the case for 'clear' as well:
>
> If 'clear' is to have an effect, the table and its captions (if any)
> should stay together and not be separated by clearance.

We have at least one test (I'm searching for more tests right now) on it:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/clear-applies-to-013.htm

and it would seem to me to be insufficient as coded: we would need such
table to have at least one non-emtpy table caption to make such test a bit
more reliable, trustworthy, truly testing what the test originally,
initially wanted to test.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011