Re: [css3-gcpm] bookmark-label: keyword definitions and whitespace processing

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 20:59:45 -0700
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>

On Jun 3, 2012, at 1:05 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:

> From here on I assume a CSS UA that produces PDF files to be opened in a variety of PDF viewers. I think this is the main use case for bookmarks, although Iím not excluding other use cases.
>
> I just checked the PDF spec again. Each bookmark entry can have an RGB color, an "italic" bit and a "bold" bit. Of all the viewers I could test and that showed bookmarks at all, only Adobe Reader actually changed the color or font. Everything else just ignores these values.
>
> Changing the bookmark color is probably a bad idea in general since (for PDF) there is no way to change the background. Italic or bold is more reasonable, but I canít think of a use case.
>
> A ::toc or ::bookmark pseudo-element would be the most general mechanism to specify these in CSS, although only a few properties would have any effect there. The 'content' property of this pseudo-element could even replace bookmark-label. But in the end Iím not sure that the use case is worth the complexity of a new pseudo-element.

I know it is different from what you need from the spec, but I had something like e-books in mind, not limiting my thinking to print. So, something like Apple's iBooks typically have a table of contents which could theoretically be generated from the content using this spec. Even the user-added bookmarks (which are visible in a section right after the TOC) could be handled via CSS then.