Re: [css3-*] Review of functional syntax in CSS

From: Christoph Pšper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:00:20 +0100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr.:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Christoph Pšper
>>
>> I think if thereís a reason to include one kind of rounding thereís enough reason to include the rest, too.
>
> a function that only rounds to the nearest integer multiple of the modulus is rather new,

Yes, but most languages donít have values to round that are typed as strongly as the ones in CSS and hence donít round to arbitrary multiples. For what itís worth, I think the proposed distinction for negative values is more useful.

> even/odd rounding isn't usually present by default (and, I believe, exists mainly to reduce rounding
> bias when rounding lots of numbers that will be combined together, such as for finance),

Yes, thatís why I think itís beneficial for CSS, too. Designers hate it when scroll bars appear due to rounding effects.

> and the distinction between toward/away from zero and toward positive/negative infinity isn't usually made.

True, but like I said, usually floor and ceil are special cases of rounding down and up respectively. Since we canít use their common behavior in CSS it could make sense to select a different one. I merely suggested two.