Re: [css4-color] 4 Parameters in RGB() and HSL()

On 29/01/2012 12:11 AM, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com wrote:
> 28.01.2012, 15:06, "Christoph Päper"<christoph.paeper@crissov.de>:
>> Alan Gresley (2012-01-28 02:05):
>>
>>>   rgb(255,0,255,0)
>>>
>>>   Currently all modern browsers will treat this as invalid.
>>
>> Yes, that’s the point why it works. It would be a problem if they treated it the same as “rgb(255,0,255)” or something else, but ignoring is fine.
>
> Exactly.
>
> By the way, it seems parts of HTML5-development paradigm ("to document existing implementations" in particular) has somehow produced wrong supposition that backward compatibility is when any new feature should _work_ in current implementations (like new structural HTML5 elements work in old browsers). But that's just impossible and completely wrong understanding of "backward compatibility" term which is probably confused with "graceful degradation" term.
>
> If new feature works in old implementations, then it's not a new feature, but old feature _undocumented_ before. But not all new features are actually undocumented old ones, and adding _really_ new feature _cannot_ be considered as breaking backward compatibility.

What it also breaks is the notion that three indent values (i.e. 'rgb')
equals three <value>s. Alpha is currently isolated somewhat by having
perfectly well in accommodating alpha transparency with color. Consider
that this may be possible.

I am basing part of my argument on something that Chris Lilley has
mentioned about allowing alpha transparency to work as it currently
works in CSS color. I basing another part of my argument on future CSS
color that shows more color that is beyond the sRGB gamut.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/