RE: [css3-regions] auto widths and heights of regions

From: Rossen Atanassov <Rossen.Atanassov@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:36:58 +0000
To: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Witold Baryluk <baryluk@smp.if.uj.edu.pl>

Thanks Vincent, this threat slipped inside my junk folder...

>> On 12-26 19:44, fantasai wrote:
>>
>> It should definitely be possible for the last region to have auto
>>height. I  assume an auto-height region would just consume all the
>>content in the flow.

In the typical case computing 'height: auto' on regions (especially the last one) should doable. There are complications when there are writing modes with orthogonal direction, but again that should be solvable.

>> Wrt auto widths, intrinsic sizing for regions would be similar to the
>> intrinsic sizing of shrinkwrapped elements across pages: that is, the
>> min-content and max-content sizes are calculated across the entire flow,
>> and the width is then calculated per fragment using those content sizes.

I agree that this is pretty straight forward to implement and spec (see Option 1 in my doc). There are of course degenerate cases of wide content in previous or subsequent regions that would make less than optimal layout. I am also fine with reopening this issue for regions and defining it this way - it will be much better than not having shrink-to-fit at all for sure.

Cheers,
Rossen