[css3-flexbox] what's the rendering of floated content *inside of a span*?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:47:20 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
One last float-handling question...

What's the expected behavior of content like this, with a floated
element *inside* a to-be-wrapped run of inline stuff:

My initial expectation is that the entire <span> gets wrapped in an
anonymous block, and the floated div floats to the left of *that* block.
  (like "item6.1" in the current Editor's Draft, but with the div
floating to the left of its wrapper)

However, I could perhaps see the <div> first being taken out-of-flow
(reparented to the flexbox, leaving a placeholder behind in the <span>)
and being turned into its own flexbox item, or something wacky like
that...  I'm not sure whether that or my initial expectation is more