RE: [css3-flexbox] computing "float" and "clear" on children of a flexbox

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:12:20 +0000
To: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
± From: Daniel Holbert [mailto:dholbert@mozilla.com]
± Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:03 AM
± Yup, understood.
± (I was just using replaced elements for my example, since their computed
± value for "display" matches that of <span> by default, and that makes it
± tricky to determine "is this a flexbox item" from inside in the style
± system.) (not an issue anymore given your/Alex's suggested spec-update)

Good, let’s update the spec.

A bit more of explanation that I started typing already...

We have observed a major confusion with cases like this (and pretty much every new flexbox user hits this):

Which would have been a single flexbox item, because img and button are by default inline blocks.

Processing floats differently would also lead to confusion:
 * if floats always wrap, a div with "float:left" is no longer a flex item
 * if block status before 'float' is used, it's a weird special-case processing model, and it treats float divs and float spans differently...

So we have this and we seem to agree it's good))