Re: [css3-text] Proposal RFC: text-remainder

On 01/16/2012 05:34 PM, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> Sent this back in may and didn't receive any feedback. It's been almost a year now, so resending :)
>
> After reading on text-align-last[1], I thought it'd be a good time to
> bring up an old property I tried to implement in webkit a while back.
> text-remainder (previously line-remainder) is a proposal to control
> the remainder of a text block. Unlike text-align-last, it doesn't
> control the alignment but on which line the remainder should be
> present.
> Namely, the following text (with the current, default text-remainder
> value of "last"):
>   Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do
>   eiusmod tempor
>
> Would, with a value of "first", wrap like this:
>   Lorem ipsum dolor
>   sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor
>
> Note that while text-remainder is very different to text-align-last, I
> could see it incorporate its functionality (eg. text-remainder: first
> center;, first value being the remainder style, the second being its
> alignment).
>
> This functionality could also be used to design proper multiline tab
> widgets, though that seems kind of irrelevant now.
>
> Would love to hear some thoughts.

This would require some very significant changes to how line layout
is done, at least in Gecko, but probably in most other implementations
as well. If there isn't a strong use case for adding it, it certainly
won't make sense to put it in the spec.

~fantasai