Re: [css3-text] Should text-shadow have 'spread'?

On 01/23/2012 02:02 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> [Simon Fraser:]
>>
>> I don't think 'spread' should apply to text-shadow, yet CSS3 Text suggests
>> that text-shadow follows box-shadow<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-
>> text/#text-shadow>.
>>
>> For rectangles and rounded-corner rectangles, 'spread' is easy to
>> implement by insetting or outsetting the rectangle bounds. For arbitrary
>> shapes, spread is vastly more difficult to implement, requiring either
>> some complex path math, or pixel-based computations that are expensive to
>> do at drawing time. There are also complexities related to whether spread
>> makes sharp corners rounded etc.
>>
> Current IE10 builds support it so we'd certainly like to propose that it
> does. It's author-friendly from a consistency standpoint in that it makes
> the shadow syntax consistent with box-shadow.

I think we should leave it in the L4 draft; we all agree on what the syntax
should be, but figuring out exactly how it works seems to require a bit more
discussion. Also, the CSS2.0 version did not include a spread radius, and
since this spec is the replacement for that, I think we should just include
the 2.0 features. That way it's more obvious that there are implementations
that don't support the fourth value.

~fantasai