Re: [css3-syntax] CSS escape sequences

From: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:37:28 +0000
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On 23 Jan 2012, at 07:14, Mathias Bynens wrote:

>> I personally think that bugs should be filed on the other UAs about the
>> UTF-16 behavior and the spec should be clarified to disallow it, but of
>> course I'm biased.  ;)
>
> Anyone else?

FWIW, I agree with Boris (that it is a bug for a UA to accept \xxxx\yyyy, where xxxx and yyyy represent a high/low surrogate pair, and treat this as being the UTF-16 representation of a single non-BMP character).

The CSS3 Syntax spec (and CSS2, for that matter) is quite explicit that a backslash-hex escape stands for _an ISO 10646 character_; it does not stand for _a UTF-16 code unit_, which is something fundamentally different.

(But of course I also share Boris's bias!)

JK