Re: [css3-writing-modes] A report from a meeting w/Japanese publishing group

I think that implementation-dependent behaviors as the default
are unavoidable for some code points.  I know that professional
authors care fidelity, but they are happy to explicitly specify
text-orientation.

Regards,
Makoto

2012/1/17 Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>:
>> From: koba [mailto:koba@antenna.co.jp]
>> > I understand you think ASCII should set upright, and I guess you know it's not the
>> > majority.
>>  I am sure almost major Japanese editor and writer will agree with me.
>
> I don't think so. That doesn't match to what I've interviewed and investigated so far.
>
>> For example, please read Japanese novels, all ASCII characters on novels are upright.
>
> I have tons of Japanese novels that sets ASCII characters sideways.
>
> One Japanese XML format[1] states this way (in my translation):
>
> It is natural to set ASCII characters sideways, and most software renders them sideways. However, this file format does not define any orientation and therefore all characters are upright by default. If author wants to set in a similar way as regular word processors, they need to wrap all ASCII words in <span> and apply "rot90" property to it.
>
> I understand that can be one design option, but that's not what the majority wants.
>
> [1] http://www.jepax.org/spec/jepaxspec09-sjis.html (Japanese)
>
> Regards,
> Koji

Makoto