Re: [css3-text] tweak the definition of a grapheme cluster a bit for UTF-16

On 01/16/2012 03:36 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> Conceptually, UAX#29, on which the definition of a grapheme cluster in
> CSS3 Text relies upon, operates on a string of Unicode code points,
> while the DOM is in reality UTF-16. Although it is quite obvious what
> conversion should happen, it might be nice to say a little bit about
> this. A normative result from this clarification would be to ask UA to
> render a single emphasis dot instead of two in the following case

I feel like this should be covered by Unicode already, are you saying
it's not?

We assume Unicode in CSS so that we can talk about particular rendering
requirements, but we don't say anything about the encoding: that's up to
the UA. It can store things as UCS-32 if it wants to, use SHIFT-JIS
internally, or only support ASCII documents. Doesn't matter.

~fantasai