Re: [css3-text] grapheme clusters across element boundary

the problems you refer to appear (to me) to derive only from two scenarios:

(1) some implementation allowing a user to enter codepoints directly (as
opposed to entire characters), which could possibly result in isolated
surrogate codepoints;

(2) script that naively assumes codepoint = character, and inadvertently
separates surrogate pair elements;

regarding (1), i'm not sure this is a legitimate, or if legitimate, then
wise feature for an implementation to provide to naive end users; it could
clearly result in security problems of various kinds;

regarding (2), my position is that the implementation should be
conservative and not liberal when allowing script to set certain property
values whose underlying semantics imply a well-formed UTF-16 string; so,
yes, were I implementing this, I would throw an exception when a script
attempts to set a DOMString typed property to a JS String that contains an
isolated surrogate codepoint; or at least I would do this by default, and
only depart from this default in certain circumscribed cases;

this is my answer to your question "what the best way to limit damage from
the lack of understanding on script authors' part is"; i certainly would
not adopt an approach which silently allows (or even encourages) the
proliferation of isolated surrogate code points;

of course, this could be resolved, at least in theory, but upgrading JS/ES
to use unicode scalar values instead of UTF-16 codepoints, but we know this
won't happen, at least anytime soon (if ever);