RE: [css3-writing-modes] A report from a meeting w/Japanese publishing group

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:36:01 -0500
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, koba <koba@antenna.co.jp>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Tokushige Kobayashi wrote:

> The sideway of latin alphabet in vertical text is bad writing manner
> in Japanese text.

I don't think that's a common sense in Japan. There's no right answer here, so anyone is free to express their opinions and I understand you think so, but there's no such manner.

And while I understand there're some needs to set every characters upright, you can set "text-orientation: upright" to <html> to do so.

Regards,
Koji