RE: [css3-writing-modes] A report from a meeting w/Japanese publishing group

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:28:54 -0500
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, koba <koba@antenna.co.jp>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
> From: John Daggett [mailto:jdaggett@mozilla.com]
> Tokushige Kobayashi wrote:
> > I am wondering Kadokawa is worryng about which one of two issue:
> > 1. Symbols and Puncuation
> > or
> > 2. Orientation of ascii characters ?
> > The two issue is quite different nature.
>
> I would guess that it's symbols and punctuation, since implementations usually orient ASCII
> sideways by default.  The default handling of symbols between Webkit and IE for example
> has a lot more variations.
>
> Koji, do you have a more specific list of concerns from Kadokawa?

I didn't specifically asked their expected orientation of ASCII, but I'm pretty sure that what they said "symbols and punctuation" does not include ASCII, so I assume they mean sideways for ASCII.

As far as I know, setting ASCII (00-7F) upright is a very minor opinion. Kobayashi-san is the only person I know of who thinks CSS should behave that way by default. I know one software--namely Excel--does this for its very special requirements, but no other software does this by default.

As John noted, this issue doesn't have the right answer but we're seeking for a good default value for the majority of East Asians. Given that, I don't think setting ASCII upright is a good default value.

Regards,
Koji