Re: Fast-track new people to areas www-style need the most help with

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:51:46 +0100
To: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Le 15/01/2012 18:31, Matthew Wilcox a écrit :
> Much like I believe the public facing archive need a serious make-over
> (were I capable, I would help out), I think general information
> dissemination about how the www-style operates, and roles within it,
> could really do with making clear. I would gladly write this up in a
> web-page that could get hosted somewhere useful on the W3C - but I don't
> know that answers to do that (and nor do I know how to go about it, who
> to contact, what the set-up is, etc. That kind of illustrates my point
> all on its own).

Hi,

I think that the closest "official" thing the CSS Working Group
currently has is this:

http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work

This page gives a very good overview of the various specs, but the "How
to participate" part pretty much stops at "Please join www-style." (This
list.) I agree that more public information on how things work would
help a lot.

On the less official side, I found fantasai’s "about:csswg" series of
blog post very interesting:

http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/weblog/2011/inside-csswg/

I learned a lot there, even though I was already familiar with the
CSSWG. (I had been reading (and implementing) CSS specs and following
this list for several months already.)

As good as this blog post series is, I see two issues:

* It is not as discoverable as, say, the Current Work page.
* It is a snapshot at a fixed point in time, and may get out-dated over
the years.

Fantasai, do you think that the information in there could move
somewhere under w3.org where it would be maintained to be kept
up-to-date? (Though I understand that *someone* has to do the
maintenance work, and people with the time and skill are always lacking...)

Regards,
--
Simon Sapin