Re: [CSS Transitions] z-index & not animating one property

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Antoine Sanchez <ckkoshi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> I'm coming here to understand why z-index is under the animation of
> css-transition?
> I don't understand the usability of animating this property.
>

> Also, I come with my second question:
> It's possible to use transition-property to select any property, but
> if we want to animate all properties except one, we have to specify
> all properties to animate, it's not useful.
>
> something like:
> transition-property:all, !z-index;
>
> could be useful.

z-index is animatable because why not?  It's a number, and numbers can
be transitioned.  I agree that there's not a lot of use, but given how
simple it is once you support animating other numeric properties,
there's no reason to shut it down.

I will suggest that you probably don't actually want to transition all
properties.  It's rarely a good idea.