Re: [css3-syntax] CSS escape sequences

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:14:16 -0800
To: Mathias Bynens <mathias@qiwi.be>
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Mathias Bynens <mathias@qiwi.be> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>> I so no reason why it should be.
>
> Well, all existing engines (except Gecko) already support this, and
> have for years. Pave The Cowpaths, etc.

The assumption behind Pave The Cowpaths is to spec what *authors* are
using (the path they've beaten into the grass through their own
wanderings), not bugwards compat for things that UAs are consistently
doing (that would be, um, "Clean the Mislaid Sidewalks" I guess).

If significant numbers of authors are relying on the surrogate pair
behavior, we should spec it.  If UAs report that it would be very
difficult to fix their bug and they're not willing to do so, we should
spec it.  Otherwise, we should keep the preferred behavior currently
in the spec and file bugs on browsers to fix it.