[css3-selectors][css3-ui] Status of the ::selection pseudo-element

From: Daniel Tan <lists@NOVALISTIC.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 04:41:01 +0800
To: www-style@w3.org
across browsers (including Firefox as ::-moz-selection), following this revision of the Selectors spec <http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-css3-selectors-20011113/#UIfragments>

I cannot say if it's buggy or incomplete, though, as I have yet to conduct enough tests with it on various browsers. As a UI-state pseudo-element, I imagine it'd be a doozy.

Anyway, ::selection was removed from Selectors sometime during CR or PR <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/PR-css3-selectors-20091215/#selection> before it graduated to REC. It's a little unclear to me why this is, but I assume that it's being moved to the UI module, as shown in  4.2 <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-ui/#pseudo-elements> (2004-05-11). Furthermore, it still references the old revision of Selectors with the description.

Last I heard, it sort of got cut due to implementation headaches of some sort, related to performance, nesting and so on. I'm quite curious; could somebody elaborate on this for me?

Since browser vendors are implementing it pretty well  with all but Mozilla even going so far as to exclude the prefix  it doesn't seem like ::selection was actually removed from CSS altogether (unlike the :contains() pseudo-class). What exactly is happening? Is it being moved to UI, and if so, has there been a consensus on whether it'll make it to UI level 3 or be deferred to UI level 4 (which is what I see in the list archives)?

For what it's worth, the Jigsaw CSS validator does not yet recognize the ::selection pseudo-element at this time... not that that's supposed to mean anything, of course.

--
Daniel Tan/BoltClock
NOVALISTIC  Stellar Software Development & Design