RE: Adding a font to the current stack (smarter fallbacks)

From: Oliver St. John <osj@CBORD.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:49:48 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
How about something like:

#special {font-family-add: fontName, stackposition;}

So, for instance, {font-family-add: LeagueGothicRegular, top;}

This could then abstract the re-specifying of the entire list and simply insert LeagueGothicRegular at the top, or in whatever position was specified (I propose 1,2,3,4,...n, with 'top' and 'bottom' as aliases for 1 and n respectively).

> e.g.,
>
> html { font : 125%/1.3 MelbourneRegular, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica,
> Arial, sans-serif; }
>
> then later on I need to change a font for one particular paragraph and
> have to write:
>
> #special {  font-family : LeagueGothicRegular, MelbourneRegular,
> "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;  }
>
> because if I were to write
>
> #special { font-family: LeagueGothicRegular; }
>
> It replaces the entire font stack instead of just attempting to load
> that font, and if failing falling back to the inherited font-stack.

This is a common problem for *all* list-valued properties in CSS; right now, they're always atomic, and you must re-specify the entire list if you want to change one part of it.

We'd like to fix it, but no one's figured out how to do so yet.
Suggestions welcome.  ^_^