Re: A CSS equivalent of HTML's DOCTYPE trigger

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:58:59 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On 01/10/2012 04:29 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Jon Rimmer<jon.rimmer@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Leaving aside the actual problem at hand, this thread is an example of
>> the slightly frustrating nature of providing feedback and suggestions
>> to the WG.
>>
>> Matt has a use-case/problem which the extant mechanisms within CSS are
>> not capable of resolving. I made a couple of suggested changes in the
>> thread that might help with it. But since neither of us is a member of
>> the WG, how can we proceed? We can't raise issues in the tracker, and
>> we can't edit the wiki, so we have no way to ensure the problem and
>> ideas don't get lost in the mix.
>>
>> That lack of a structured mechanism for non-members to submit and
>> track feedback is something that gives the WG the feel of a vendors'
>> club sometimes.
>
> We are somewhat unorganized in this respect. ;_;  We're trying to do better!
>
> The spec editors generally handle logging bugs.  We have several
> methods - using Tracker, using Bugzilla, or tracking them inline in
> the spec.
>
> In this case, the relevant spec is Text, which makes the relevant spec
> editor Fantasai.  She'll get to this - this email thread is only a day
> old.

font-size-adjust is in CSS3 Fonts, actually. But it's not a simple issue,
it's a "here I have a problem" and there are multiple ways of *trying* to
solve it; we have no idea which one, or what combination, will actually
be the right solution. So far we've had suggestions for
   - font-size-adjust additions
   - text-justify additions
   - @supports additions
   - layout additions

It's not well-defined enough to be a spec issue--it's merely an "unsolved
use case" and we don't have anything set up to track such things.

~fantasai