Re: line-height suggestions and easier alignment

On 11/01/2012 5:37 AM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:

> Le Mar 10 janvier 2012 1:12, Alan Gresley a écrit :
>
> [snipped]
>
>> the default value of 'line-height' which is 1.12 times greater
>> than the 'font-size'.
>
> [snipped]
>
> This is not always or completely true. It's not clear where such '1.12'
> factor value comes from...

I made a mistake (often happens) and this is based on test with Times
New Roman. With font-size 100px, 'line-height' is 1.12 times greater
than the 'font-size'. With font-size 100px, the default 'line-height' is
1.17 times greater than the 'font-size'.

> Default, initial value of line-height is 'normal' ... which can range from
> 1.0 to 1.2 according to spec.
>
> "
> normal
>      Tells user agents to set the used value to a "reasonable" value based
> on the font of the element. The value has the same meaning as
> <number>. We recommend a used value for 'normal' between 1.0 to 1.2.
> The computed value is 'normal'.
> "
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-line-height
>

> By default, Firefox computes 'normal' as '1.2' while other browsers use '1.0'
>
> Revealing experiments on content box height, vertical-align and
> line-height (Ahem font required for examining that page)
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/experiments-va-lineheight-02.html
>

>    For IE8, line-height: normal is equivalent to line-height: 1.0
>    For Firefox 3.6.6, line-height: normal is equivalent to 120px / 100px =
> 1.2 and not 1.0
>    For Opera 10.60, line-height: normal is equivalent to line-height: 1.0
>    For Safari 5.0, line-height: normal is equivalent to line-height: 1.0
>
> Gérard (who is very busy today)

That's OK Gérard. I haven't even begun testing 'line-height' values
using keywords but I do note that with test using Ahem font, the default
'line-height' is equivalent in each browser as if line-height: normal
has been used (Firefox being the exception with 1.2).

http://css-class.com/test/css/text/linebox-line-height-010.html

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/