Re: A CSS equivalent of HTML's DOCTYPE trigger

From: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 08:28:29 +0000
Cc: "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Interesting, thanks Tab.

The reason I brought it up was I can't see how, if we decided it was worth it, we'd apply a fix to the issue of font handling I brought up in CSS & Type thread.

The issue in there was that type measures (the margin, padding etc we apply to elements that have text in them) should be adjusted depending on the actual typeface in use. We currently set them as concrete values based on the preferred font, but if that font isn't available then the next in the font stack is unlikely to be suitably close and therefor the measures need adjusting. CSS doesn't have that type of logic or workflow.