Re: line-height suggestions and easier alignment

On 01/06/2012 04:17 PM, Scott Johnson wrote:
> Perhaps I'm missing something important, but isn't Richard just advocating that we add another option so that an author could
> control where the spacing for line-height is applied? I don't see why creating an additional option that modifies the behavior
> of line-height, in a future version of CSS, would be controversial. It seems that he has presented a use case where the
> current definition of the standard is unable to construct layout in the way that he wants, and he is proposing an (optional)
> addition that would allow this control.

There are considerations in CSS that don't exist in InDesign. IIRC
dbaron had a long conversation with some Adobe folks about the
concept of a "frame", which is a special kind of box for them, and
how we don't have that in CSS, which is one of the reasons why we
landed on the model we have. We treat line layout exactly the same
whether you have a stack of line boxes, a stack of line boxes split
up into anonymous blocks, a stack of line boxes split up into
backgrounds...

Consider a paragraph with five lines: you put leading between the
lines. If you put a <div> with a border around it, you don't want
leading between the text and the border. If you put the paragraph
at the top of the page, you don't want leading before the first
line. But if you put two paragraphs together, you want leading
between the two.

I don't quite have everything worked out in my head, so I'm probably
not explaining it very well, but I suspect the solution is not so
simple as adding a control for where to put the leading...

~fantasai