Re: [css3-multicol] Clarification on column-fill

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:12:53 +0100
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Robert O'Callahan:

 > On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 2:20 AM, Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>wrote:
 >
 > > Force-balancing columns in a row before a spanner is something we
 > > obviously want, but before a page break?
 > >

 > Actually I think you're right.
 >
 > It's simpler and easier to implement if we honor column-fill before page
 > breaks. It won't produce much visible difference before soft page breaks,
 > but it will before forced breaks as you point out. Let's do it.

Based on this conclusion, which had no objections, I've removed two
paragraphs from the description of 'column-fill':

<!--
length of columns has been constrained. Otherwise, columns will
automatically be balanced.
-->

overflow columns (see below).

<!--
effect on the last page the multicol element appears on.
-->

The new editor's draft is available here:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/

-h&kon