Re: @with -- DRY syntax for nesting selectors

Le 09/01/2012 15:26, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com a écrit :
>>> Bad idea or not, we do have it in css3-page:
>>>
>>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#margin-at-rules
> As far as I can see, compared with what I propose, margin-at-rules is
> a different feature for a different purpose.

Sorry this wasn’t clear enough. The reference to css3-page is not about
the feature proposal, but about the syntax detail of mixing declarations
and at-rules.

Other that not being done in standards before (which it was), is there a
problem with such mixing?

>>> As much as I like the idea, syntax details aside and assuming
>>> this is spec’d and implemented right now, it will be many years
>>> before we can use it on the web without fallbacks because of
>>> older browser versions.
> Base on such arguments, we could don't do anything new at all never,
> so such arguments are useless at all.

Agreed in general, though I maintain that in this case the alternative
is equivalent and available today.

>>> On the other hand, pre-processors like LESS or SASS are available
>>> right now. They can be changed/updated/replaced without browser
>>> support concerns.
> Standard feature could be used in server-side preprocessors with the
> same result. While there is big fundamental difference between
> standard features and nonstandard ones. One of most important is that
> using standard feature reliably prevents syntax conflicts between
> nonstandard feature and standard one added later and having same
> syntax (or parts of syntax) but different meaning.

Good point.

--
Simon Sapin