Re: Forums

From: bertrand.design <bertrand.design@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 14:59:51 -0600
Cc: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, juancarlospaco@ubuntu.com, "Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com" <mtanalin@yandex.ru>, www-style@w3.org
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
I think that a forum is more User- and Search Engine-friendly.

For example, I'm a mailing list n00b.  I've always just used Google Groups to monitor/contribute to topics of interest. I like the 1-email-per-day Digest format better.
I've tried posting to this list before, and I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right. Heck, I might even be banned after my holiday out of office reply fiasco.

For people who prefer email, a decent forum can provide granular opt-in email updates to new topics, posts, comments, replies, etc. You could also reply to a comment and post via email to the forum, too.  Email <--> Forum is a solved problem.

It then becomes a content migration issue. Or you build a forum app using the mailing list as the datasource.
----
Benjamin Bertrand
@benxamin | ben@blendinteractive.com