Re: Forums

On Jan 6, 2012, at 12:29 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>> * Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>> You missed my point.  If the email was sent to the list, but *also*
>>> directly to you (like this very email I'm typing, which is being sent
>>> to you and cc'd to the list), you won't get an Archived-At header,
>>> because the list will recognize that you already received the email
>>> directly and skips sending you a duplicate.
>>
>> The W3C mailing lists are not configured that way, it would rather be
>> your server or client that recognizes the duplicate and filters a copy.
>> The IETF "recently" changed the default configuration for new lists to
>> do this, meaning, if you actually want the duplicate, you have to log
>> into the web based configuration interface and change the setting each
>> time you sign up for a list (as mailman doesn't allow you to choose a
>> default setting), which is very annoying.
>
> I didn't realize this was a gmail-specific deduping feature.  Interesting.

Neither did I. How annoying that the one we don't see is the one with the archived-at header. Now if only I knew someone who worked at Google, perhaps he could call up his gmail colleague and ask the, to fix that.

Not that my iPad lets me see that header anyway. Maybe someone at Apple could get them to fix that.