Re: aspect-ratio property

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 22:11:34 -0800
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Hugh Guiney <hugh.guiney@gmail.com>
On Jan 6, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Hugh Guiney <hugh.guiney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although as currently written the spec seems to imply that if neither
> width nor height are underspecified, then aspect-ratio is ignored,
> correct?

Tab's draft says so with this:
If aspect-ratio is not none, but neither width nor height are underspecified for the element, aspect-ratio must have no effect.
I'm not sure I agree this is the best thing. I think it would be better for fallback if we can author both width and height and have the height overridden by the aspect ratio.