Re: [css3-text] <spacing-limit> incompatible with calc due to different treatment of lengths and %s

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:35:21 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
On 01/05/2012 03:33 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> fantasai wrote:
>> Tab Atkins wrote:
>>> If so, this seems suboptimal, as it's then impossible to, say, use
>>> calc() to set the word-spacing to a particular length.  (I had
>>> expected "calc(0% + 1ch)" to kinda work like that.)  Perhaps we can
>>> alter word-spacing to accept both a percentage and a length, and
>>> combine their effects?
>>
>> word-spacing takes up to three values, so that wouldn't be parseable.
>
> Oh, darn, I missed that.  Is it possible to change<spacing-limit>  at
> this point, perhaps to a grammar like [...]

(We don't, generally, add keywords for the sub-parts of multi-value
properties, in case you haven't noticed. :)

Alternatively, I could change percentages to be additive, too. It means
word-spacing: -100%; would set the word spacing to zero, which is a little
weird, but it would solve the problem you raise. What do you think?

~fantasai