Re: Forums

On 6 January 2012 14:43, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:

> StackOverflow is designed for Q&A situations, not discussion. It is reasonable at the former, it would be dreadful for the latter since it has no way to relate messages deeper than "A question", "An answer" and "A comment on that answer".

Obviously an exact clone of StackOverflow wouldn't be appropriate, but
it does have features that would be very useful when discussing specs:

 - The ability to up-vote particular posts. Right now people post
proposing ideas, but there's no easy way to show and gauge opinions on
them unless everybody is encouraged to spam the list with "+1 from me"
posts.

 - A proper tagging system. People prepend their subject lines with
things like [css3-text], but a more comprehensive, searchable system
would be nice.

 - Automatically showing related topics and possible duplicate
discussions. When you go to ask a new question on SO, it automatically
searches for historical topics that match the keywords you're
entering. This would be a good way for people to avoid retreading
previously discussed ground.

Jon