Re: [css3-text] Re: Orphan control in CSS

From: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 09:57:52 +0000
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
I've had a word with the guys I work with in the print department, and
for that media there are a number of options that can be applied with
orphan control.

One of the problems when applied to long blocks is what happens when
orphan control is forced to pull a very long word onto the bottom line
- the second line up starts to look bad. e.g.,

NO ORPHAN CONTROL:
This is a paragraph of text that I'm going to
use to demonstrate a problem with orphan
control. The next word is supercalefragalistic
long.

BASIC ORPHAN CONTROL:
This is a paragraph of text that I'm going to
use to demonstrate a problem with orphan
control. The next word is
supercalefragalistic long.

This is worked around in print by having the layout application
re-flow the entire paragraph, adjusting letter-spacing, word-spacing
and dropping problem words onto new lines. The particular method used
is controlable in software to give different looks. Hyphenation is not
usually used.

PRINT ORPHAN CONTROL:
This is a paragraph of text that I'm
going to use to demonstrate a problem
with orphan control. The next word is
supercalefragalistic long.

This gives a much superior look, but it would be quite intensive on
the text layout engine I assume?

The basic control would likely be fine for headings (which for me is
the major use case and where it's most often a problem). It would be
nice if CSS could use the smarter version though, as it'd be more
appropriate to use on large text blocks.