RE: [css3-text] Re: Orphan control in CSS

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 03:43:17 -0500
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> From: L. David Baron [mailto:dbaron@dbaron.org]
>
> I don't like it.  I haven't heard of control to prevent a single (or other small number) of
> words on the last line as being a feature people use without also having a line breaking
> algorithm that would take the words from somewhere other than the next-to-last line, i.e.,
> a line breaking algorithm that does whole-paragraph (or at least bunch-of-lines-at-a-time)
> optimization.  I tend to think that without whole-paragraph line break optimization, it's just
> going to make things look funny and authors aren't going to want to use it (perhaps with
> exceptions for very limited cases, like headings that will appear on either one or two lines).

It sounds like you assume that browsers do not do paragraph-level-optimizations. Without knowing much of the history, is it too wild to start thinking about having paragraph-level-optimizations in browsers?

Documents on the web is getting much longer, and people use browsers to read books these days. I think better readability and typography helps browsers. If performance is still a concern, it could switch typography engine by property, like InDesign does.

Regards,
Koji