Re: Forums

05.01.2012, 23:59, "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@earthlink.net>:

> šOn 2012/01/05 22:22 (GMT+0200) Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com composed:
>> ššIt's definitely makes sense to replace mailing list with a forum. Mailing list is old-school, archaic, and completely unusable form of discussion.
> šOld school, yes. Old != bad.

In the web, old is quite often is bad. IE6 was good browser when it has arrived, but it is bad now compared with modern browsers.

Same applies to mailing lists. It's quite probable that 15 years ago there were no better options than mailing lists. But not today.

> šMakes sense to replace, no way.
>  Unusable, on the contrary, once you actually know how to use email.

No, there are fundamental issues with mailing lists. See for example:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jan/0123.html

>> šš...Things need to be improved.
> šAgain, on the contrary - what ain't broke don't need fixin.

Real world does not consist of zeroes and ones. There are halftones. We don't have solutions that work and ones that do not. We have solutions that work better, and other ones that work less better.

Yes, mailing lists do work, but _how well_ they do? Mailing lists work really _bad_ compared with what we could have in 2012.