Re: CSS Referencing

From: Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 17:18:22 +0000
To: Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com>
Cc: "Oliver St. John" <osj@cbord.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
@Jon

That's fine in the context of a grid. But that is incredibly limiting
- I have to have a grid and it's only about layout. I may not want a
grid, it may not make any sense for my design, and my problem may not
be a layout problem. Maybe I want to match colours, or font sizes,
etc.

I think the idea that grid answers the same problem as CSS Refernecing
would be shoe-horning very specific sub-sets of one concept into
fitting a given other framework. They're not the same problem.

Also, having looked at the grid specification, I remain dubious as to
how successful it will be with authors. The syntax is hard and
unfamiliar. With that said, I am reading a spec, which is not the same
as reading a clear explanation - so it may be simpler than it looks.

What I like about CSS getting calc(), and constants is it allows us to
define our own units and build our own grids with the existing layout
tools.

gridUnit = 24px;

div#one { width: calc(6*gridUnit); }