Re: Orphan control in CSS

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:55:36 +0100
To: mail@matthewwilcox.com
CC: www-style@w3.org
Le 05/01/2012 13:30, Matthew Wilcox a écrit :
> Widow is a CSS property from the CSS2 era, which is part of the “paged
> media” specifications, it isn't relevant to screen media. Orphans are
> a related concept that are, but have never been implemented in any
> media. I propose that we do.
> An orphan is a singular word that drops to a new-line at the end of a
> sentence. They're a typographic no-no and never happen in professional
> print.
> I'd like to have something like:
> h2 { orphans: 2; }
> which would control the minimum number of words that must be dropped
> onto a new-line if a new-line is required.

Both 'widows' and 'orphans' properties exist in CSS 2.1, but they’re
both about the number of lines on a page, not the number of words on a
line. They’re unchanged in CSS3:

Do you mean CSS should gain an orphan-words property? (Or whatever the
name.) I’m not sure widow-words would make sense.

Simon Sapin