Re: % is not a valid unit for border-width

From: Dennis Amrouche <dennis@screenlabor.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 13:08:54 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: mail@matthewwilcox.com
Am 05.01.2012 um 12:45 schrieb Matthew Wilcox:

> Please can we get it to be a valid unit?
>
> It makes no sense to arbitrarily limit what a valid length unit is on
> a given element. A length is a length. Why should % not be valid as a
> unit on border-width but valid everywhere else?!

I agree, this doesnt make sense at all.

> It was proposed years
> ago ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Jun/0032.html
> ) and shot down despite the use-case being stated.

And I read several times on this list, that the authors of specs should have least interfearence with "user case scenarios" because they simply never know how people find a certain feature usefull for themselves or not...

If its consistent, it is sometimes good enough *and* perfect...

This might be a good example:
> At the moment those
> of us doing nice % based responsive designs canít use a border in
> them. Not without the math breaking and the layout screwing up
> entirely. Thatís caught me out on every single responsive design Iíve
> done, and Iíve had to adjust the design each time.

Dennis